BURNING PERMITS IN MONTEREY
This year the Monterey Fire Department will be using an online application for burning permits. They will be available from 8:30am to 1:00pm daily, because of DEP regulations, when weather conditions allow for open burning. The DEP requires fires to be started after 10am and be extinguished by 4pm for air quality purposes.
To obtain a permit go to the website http://www.bcburnpermits.com/ read the regulations and follow the section titled “How to obtain a permit”. If you cannot obtain a permit online, you can call 413-445-4550. This is also only available from 830am to 100pm. Make sure you print out your permit and keep it with you when burning.
- You may only burn brush, no leaves, grass, hay , stumps, building debris or any other material
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from a building or structure
- Burning is allowed from 10am to 4pm only
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder
- No person shall set, maintain, or increase a fire in open air except by permit issued by the Fire Department
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and tend the fire
- You must have a means to extinguish an open fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time
- Open burning season is from January 15 to May 1