How do I know if my project requires a permit from the Conservation Commission?

If your proposed project would occur within an area protected under the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act, or what is referred to as a “buffer zone,” it most likely will require permitting. In general terms, lakes, ponds, intermittent streams, riverfront areas, land subject to flooding and bordering vegetated wetland (BVW) are protected areas.